6 Dec 2012

Christmas decoration: sequin stars

ελληνικό κείμενο

Shiny, sparkly things go hand in hand with the holiday season so I decided to make a couple of silver stars to go with my dressed bottles and use them together to decorate my mantel.
Here's how I made them:

I chose a star pattern I liked from the internet and used it to cut two stars on thick cardboard.




I  used a silver leafing pen by Krylon to paint the stars silver and I spread glue little by little, covering a small area every time. The glue must be water based because otherwise it will dissolve the ink underneath.



I used a toothpick to help me put the sequins on the glue one by one trying not to live any gaps, at least big ones.




I painted two wooden sticks silver and glued them strongly with hot glue on the back of the stars.




I covered the glued part of the sticks with a piece of paper masking tape, covered the whole back side with glue and sprinkled silver glitter all over it.




I used two different kinds of sequins, one white silver and one dark grey silver, and though you can't really tell in the picture, the contrast looks really nice.
The bottles were higher than my sticks so I fixed them into pieces of styrofoam to add height. 




This post links to: 
Cure of the common Monday
The more the merrier Monday
Market yourself Monday
Making Monday marvelous
Craft o maniac Monday
Just something I whipped up
Mop it up Monday
I gotta try that

2 comments:

The Single Nester said...

One can never have enough bling at any time of the year!

Unknown said...

Very nicely done...I love the sparkle of sequins